Music

Know every note so you can live the piece rather than perform it.

For music to be alive with passion, the musician needs to be completely comfortable with the piece. Once our students learn and know the notes inside and out, they are able to move beyond the mechanical and into the emotional realm. When we instill this truth in each of our students, they enjoy playing more, and music schools and programs take note.

“I’m so thankful for your help… you’ve made this a really fun process for me.

—  Brennan L. (student)

ArtsBridge students show interest in pursuing a variety of musical styles:

  • Jazz Studies
  • Contemporary/New Music
  • Rock/Pop
  • Classical/Orchestral
  • Voice/Opera
  • Composition

Have a passion for music? Contact ArtsBridge »

 

Frequently Asked Questions About College Search

How do I know which schools are right for me?

Your guidance counselor should be able to assist with the academic suitability of each college of interest. Talk to students, faculty, and the admissions office. Do online research and seek out professional advice.

Do I have to go to a “famous” school to “make it”?

No, no, and no... you don't. But, you do want to be in a program or school where there are enough opportunities for you to grow and develop.

At what point should I have my final college list?

Junior year, ideally, or by the beginning of senior year. ArtsBridge clients typically have their finalized lists by no later than September of senior year.

My high school grades are not good, but I am a very talented actor? Any colege opportunities for me?

Yes, of course. A two year progam like Cap21 or AMDA could be just what you need right now. Or go to a commuity college for year and really apply yourself. One good year of college can dismiss a lot of damage.

I love schools like Oberlin — smart kids and double-major options. But will I mind being in the middle of nowhere?

Kids worry that if they go to a school in a remote location, they will be stuck there for 4 years. It may not be for everyone, but it can be fabulous to be fully immersed in a setting while creating your environment with fellow students! After vacations, breaks, and summers, you may find yourself looking forward to the intimate campus atmosphere. Being in the middle of a major city is not for everyone either, trust me.

What is a conservatory?

The original definition of a conservatory is an institution that focuses on the study of music. The term is now used for theater and dance programs we well. Coursework in the arts major takes up approximately 75% of the student schedule. The remaining 25% is devoted to academic requirements. Interestingly enough, a BFA or BM at a university is built on the same model.

How do I know if choosing a college that offers a double degree makes sense for me?

Generally students choose a double degree for one of three reasons: 1) their parents insist; 2) they feel if this doesn't work out I can always do that; and 3) the liberal arts and a balanced education are very important to them. Remember a degree is a degree. If you are academically inclined, a university rather than a conservatory is a terrific option for you because of the choice of non-arts classes. But also know that you can take a challenging course load while in a BFA/BM program, if you want to take the initiative.

I love the arts, and want to major in voice. But I also want to have fun in college and go to basketball games and be in a frat! Where’s the best place to go to experience it all?

It all sounds great! You want a university based program. A place like Syracuse comes to mind. They have a huge dome in the middle of the campus, and students can go to games (for an additional fee of course)! Greek life is very popular there too, as it is at most major universities.

Are there schools where I can do my art “on the side”

Yes, hundreds, but what is offered to non majors is completely different from school to school. Call or visit the school and ask what classes in your area of interest are open to non majors.

Take the first step to the finest arts education.

Let's Talk
简体中文English한국어